In May, I first wrote about Rene Lima-Marin: Armed Robber, Illegal Alien…Upstanding Citizen? . Long story short (well, actually, long):
Rene Lima-Marin is legally in the country on a green card but never applied for citizenship.
He is sentenced to 98 years for robbing two video stores at gunpoint. His green card is confiscated.
In 2000, ICE issues a removal order but Lima-Marin is from Cuba — and a policy established by President Bill Clinton, called the “wet, foot, dry foot” policy that repatriated Cubans intercepted at sea but allowed those who reach land to stay, prohibited ICE from sending him back.
- A clerical error causes him to be released in 2008 after serving only 10 years
- He gets married, has kids, and gets a good job.
- In 2014, the error is discovered and he is returned to jail.
- In January 2017, President Barack Obama ended the so-called “wet foot, dry foot” policy as one of his last official acts in office.
Are you guys still with me? Good grief is this crazy!
- ICE reopens the case and issues a removal order. THIS IS PRESIDENT TRUMP’S FAULT!
- In May 2017, Democrat Colorado Governor John Hickenlooper pardoned Lima-Marin for the armed robbery because “to the extent rehabilitation is a goal of imprisonment, Mr. Lima-Marin appears to have achieved it.”
- Later that month, a county judge ordered Lima-Marin released saying “Requiring Lima-Marin to serve the rest of his prison sentence all these years later would be draconian, would deprive him of substantive due process, and would perpetrate a manifest injustice.”
- And then ICE re-arrested him and transferred him to federal custody! THIS IS PRESIDENT TRUMP’S FAULT!
On October 10, Lima-Marin’s lawyer announced “we have an order from the immigration judge saying the case is terminated.”
And then on October 30, the evil Trump Administration announced that they would appeal. THIS IS PRESIDENT TRUMP’S FAULT!
By the way, Lima-Marin’s partner in the robbery is still in jail. He seems to think maybe his case should be reviewed.
I still think he skates but we’ll see!