Thanks–wish I could add a big smiley face too!
— Original Message —From: Reines, Philippe I [mailto:rein[email protected] Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 11:31 PM To: H Cc: Sullivan, Jacob J <[email protected]>, Schwerin, Daniel B <[email protected]> Subject: CT
• Spoke to the AP reporter, explained that it was neither an attack nor covert
• Realizing how wrong they got it, reporter freaked
• Spoke to Alberto Fernandez and Danny, got the details
• Poor Danny is in Tunis, Sam his time • Got the reporter on with Alberto & Danny, walked her through it
• Reporter revising the story to reflect reality; I’ll send when updated • This fire drill will get this initiative some good press, so another case of all’s well that ends well
—- Original Message —From: Reines, Philippe I Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 10:37 PM To: ‘[email protected]’ <[email protected]> Cc: Sullivan, Jacob J; Schwerin, Daniel B Subject: Re: Mobile POLITICO: Clinton: U.S. hacked Al Qaeda
Short answer is no.
I’ll let Jake address In full, but as I understand it we bought web ads that were a play on antI-US ads. It wasn’t a “cyberattade and it wasn’t “covert”
I’m reaching out to AP to tone it down.